Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Emily has a new tooth…..

Bringing the grand total to four – unfortunately she is reluctant to smile for the media, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

So, a special report for one of our readers who recently asked the question “how does one cut down their handle grips in a professional like manner”

Here my friends is my take on the subject.

Firstly, I would select some high quality grips and not pay too much for them.
Those expensive self locking grips are out of my price range and I don’t like the hard rings on the ends, nor the way they scratch your car when your bike falls over against it.

Next measure up the amount to be cut off – I judge this on past experience and measuring the wifes bike and adding 15 mm for bigger hands.

Normally this is where it all falls apart – the marking out phase. As you can see in the picture I have mounted the felt pen (a Sharpie, although a Vivid would do) in the tool post, allowing for fine adjustment of the pen and a precise cutting line around the grip.

In the past I have seen amateurs using a Stanley knife or similar resulting in a very uneven cut – as you can see I chose the plastic pipe cutter and turned the lathe chuck by hand – a perfectly neat cut all the way around.

Finally with the aid of an air compressor, the finished item is installed on the bike with all it’s friends from the SRAM family: brakes and shifters, bar and stem.

Truly an outstanding accomplishment and full credit to a well organized workshop.

Remember folks, I am a trained professional; don’t attempt this at home yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home