Thursday, May 25, 2006

Super dad's on a roll - right lets have a word about bikes


Hi fellow bike folk.
Well lots of exciting things happening here - yes a new old bike.
Whilst at the Oceania mtb champs recently in Rotorua I bumped into Fred Christensen ( a legend in NZ mtb circles) he'd been doing a little work at Jville Cycles in Wellington.
So, Fred what's the coolest thing you've seen out the back of that shop I ask?
Fred says a guy walked in with an old Merlin hardtail the other day and wanted to sell it. Fred took it off his hands pronto.
Next day I see Fred and mention that if the Merlin needed a new home I'd be keen.
A couple of weeks later it turned up with a friend - a Hitachi replica team Eddy Merckx road bike with 7 speed Dura ace componentry...very tasty but a bit small. So it made it's way back to Wellington - but's that's another story.
The Merlin on the other hand was my size,by chance I knew the original owner and remember when he got it in the early 90's. So into the garage for a look see and appraisal of what to do with it. The original XTR componentry was in good nick, but I thought a single speed would be quick and easy to get rolling.
So, stripping the wheels (Surly rear 1x1 and Campag large flange front track hub) off my Scott endorphin single speed and throwing them at the Merlin pretty much had me rolling.
I don't do rigid forks anymore and a one inch headset was easily overcome with my '98 Judy XC (black box) forks sliding right in there.
Don't try and buy these forks off the shelf kids - you'll just be disappointed. It's not what you know......
XT v brakes, XTR cranks running a flogged out 36 chainring, crusty old Tioga T-Bone stem with riser bars, Raceface seatpost with (THE) titanium rail seat I think it hit the scales at 24 pounds?
Not bad but certainly not stunning.
First outing was with Giant James and Tom the tank engine on their singles out at Woodhill www.bikeparks.co.nz and it was pretty mint.
Went back the next weekend with the lads, this time with Azonic ape hanger riser bars - a whopping 630mm wide and 2 inches of rise ! A shorter A-head stem and quill converter thing handling the steering.
Bruno had razed me for not using his donated Yeti grips, so I slipped them on for a comfy ride.
Second outing was good with no problems, just a big goofy grin....
At this point I need to point out this happened before the last posting if that makes sense, because at the Moonride was this guy....(link coming) along with the rest of a very inspirational tale.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home