Friday, May 26, 2006

talk about motivation for a stupid idea



So, here's a quick word on Slackboy/Ricky the Postie from Wellington.
He's a Postie and rides mountainbikes - mostly singlespeed I understand.
In an act of sensational stupidity he tackled the 12 hour Moonride, Solo, on this great rig on loan from Honeymonster/Paul from Essence Bicycle.
No suspension, one brake on the front, skinny cyclocross tired pumped right up, fixed gear = no free wheeling, strange looking handlebars.....
some would say he's lost it completely........
I say he's right on the money. So much so that I have said to Tom the tank engine and Giant James that we should have a crack at the Woodhill 6/12 hour mtb race at the end of July in a similar fashion.
Solo, on the single speeds, fixed gear with beer.....................Sweet. Well easy to say sitting on the couch watching TV.
Back in Frontierland (the garage) the Merlin was celebrating the loss of the chain tensioner, a new-well quite old pair of STX cranks sporting a very retro blue anodised 32 tooth chainring and Sram 8 speed chain which by the grace of god now fitted perfectly.
So last Wednesday, after a bit of jiggery poke and an upgrade to an 18 tooth Surly fixed sprocket I headed out to Woodhill for a spin round the sandpit.
Boy that's interesting I thought as I steamed into the first corner..............................
"Look out there's a shiny tree root in your path: no worries I'll just stop pedaling and go around it"
"No you won't screamed my frantically spinning legs !"
Rito, note to self - pay attention to trail. You're not on the Foes now doctor Ropata!
Anyways, it was fun and I'll be going back for more. If it sucked I'd hang that sprocket back on the garage wall pronto.
Tom's not so sure and James is as always just taking it easy about this whole no free wheeling gig.
Will keep you posted on the lads with their wavering enthusiasm and or crashes prior to the race, I mean event.
"Race" is a four letter word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home